Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 6, 2009

My baby is sick

Joshie has been having diarrhoea since Wednesday. Brought him to a paed, who diagnosed him as having stomach flu. He was given medicine for his diarrhoea but he really hated it. Was a torture feeding him the 3.5ml and hubby and I had to pin him down in order to get the medicine down his throat.

Just when I thought he was getting better (no more diarrhoea on Thursday morning), he started vomitting after he woke up from his afternoon nap at 3pm. I think he threw up 1/3 of his lunch in his cot. I still observed him first and thought he didn't need to see a doctor yet. But after he threw up practically all 8oz of his 4pm milk, I knew he needed a doctor. So we rushed like mad to KinderClinic at Paragon cause they don't accept patients after 4:30pm. It was already 4:23pm by the time I buckled Joshie in his car seat. While driving, I called KinderClinic and told the nurse that we really need to see the doctor although we can only arrive about 4:45pm. Also called hubby who said he will meet us at the clinic.

Well, doctor said he had acute gastroentritis. So to prevent him from throwing up, they inserted a supporsitory ( don't know if I got the spelling right) at 5pm and we were supposed to insert again at 1am and 9am the following day. Doctor warned us that if he still continues throwing up, we'd have to bring him to the hospital. So anyway, being optimistic parents, we thought he wouldn't throw up already. Well, he threw up his dinner at 7pm and we were still calm, thinking that the medicine wouldn't take effect so fast. He still had a good appetite and whinned when I stopped feeding him. But I was just following doctor's advice to reduce his food portion by half. So at 8pm, I only gave him 4.5oz of milk which he drank as though he was famished. And right after I pulled the empty bottle away, he threw up all of his milk! I just stared at all the liquid gushing out of his mouth and then called for hubby. Hubby walked in and said "let's just go to Mt Elizabeth or Gleneagles".

To cut the long story short, we packed our necessities and walked into the lift. Then hubby asked if we are overreacting and we should just wait and see. After all, I don't think the A&E department will call a paed since Joshie still looks fine. Most probably, he will be seen by a normal GP. So we went back into our apartment again and put him to sleep. It was about 8:45pm then. He didn't even wake up when I inserted the 1am supp into his butt. He slept through the night till about 6am this morning. I think he woke up because he was hungry. But I only fed him water, which he drank greedily. Then he went back to sleep again till about 7:30am.

So far, he looks allright. Maybe a little lethargic coz he has not been eating well. He gave us a scare when he went all limp on his highchair this morning after breakfast. But he was just sleepy and was dozing off on his chair. Thank God he is almost well now. He even gave us his usual cheeky look before his bath today and played with his saliva too. And no more vomitting today! =)

4 comments:

  1. oh dear poor joshie. get well soon little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. poor joshie.. I was bit worry in the beginning and after reading and know he is getting better.. I am glad... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wohoo...i'm so glad that he is better now...it was kind of intense reading it..i'm sure both of you were exhausted worrying about him....get well soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, we were exhausted taking care of him.......and worried too especially when he cries non-stop =(

    ReplyDelete